Thursday, August 25, 2011

I've read the article of Mr. James Soriano about "tagalog language". I have a great respect to journalist because they equip us with knowledge, but sometimes I cannot help but oppose to what have been written. They said that if you can speak ENGLISH language then you can speak to the world, yes it's true because we will be able to communicate with different people from different nation but is it a great opportunity for us to speak our native language? TAGALOG. As i remember from what my Filipino teacher said way back in school days, it came from the word TAGA-ILOG. It's such an honor for me to speak tagalog since I am a Filipino. We use "po" and "opo", which i think the english language don't have. they call their older siblings with their first names while WE call them as ATE and KUYA, DITSE, DIKO, and so on. It's just so unfortunate because he also said that HE only use tagalog when speaking to katulong or manong which I think is not acceptable. What's wrong with speaking tagalog? nothing, but instead we have to be proud that we have our OWN language and not a borrowed from others. I was raised in Pampanga, proud Kapampangan, proud Filipino, I speak 3 languages, kapampangan, TAGALOG and english. I wrote my opinion in english language to let others know that I'm well versed in English but i was not pressured by my parents or whoever to speak english when i was young. I learned it through reading, listening and talking to others, still, TAGALOG will always be my LANGUAGE. 





Below is the article of Mr. James Soriano dated August 24, 2011. Read and give your comment. thanks :)


http://mb.com.ph/articles/331851/language-learning-identity-privilege

No comments:

Post a Comment